- Home & Workshop Products
What is mulching? Why should I consider doing it? How will it make my lawn look better? Learn all about mulching now.
The easy way to feed your lawn. To make grass mulch, grass is cut into easily absorbed grass clippings to help keep your lawn healthy and lush.
The John Deere MulchControl™ Kit with One-Touch Technology is the easy way to mulch. With the push of a button you can mulch when you want to.
Push the button and mulch. The chute closes and you have a dedicated mulching system. Perfect for regular, weekly, or bi-weekly mowing.
Push the button again, or pull the lever, with your MulchControl™ System, the chute opens and you can side-discharge mow or bag. The choice is yours.
Fertilizing your lawn just got easier. Just let your grass clippings do the job for you. Grass clipping mulch is the natural way to feed your lawn essential nutrients. Here are eight things you need to know:
1. Mulch mowing allows clippings to be cut finely enough so that they can’t be seen when redistributed into the lawn.
2. Make sure your blades are sharp. Sharp blades help ensure a precise, quality cut.
3. Mulching returns nitrogen-rich nutrients to your lawn. This feeds your lawn and can reduce the amount of fertilizer you need.
4. Follow the “one-third” rule when mulch mowing, taking no more off than the top third of the grass blade. Fast-growing conditions will warrant more frequent mowing.
5. Mulching works better when the grass is dry.
6. The MulchControl™ System from John Deere is the easy way to mulch while you mow.
7. If tall or wet grass conditions result in unsightly clumps, your MulchControl™ System should be used in side-discharge mode.
8. If conditions warrant using your MulchControl™ System in side-discharge mode, clippings are likely to be visible for a few days as they decay.
This exclusive technology is available with One-Touch Technology on the John Deere X350 Select Series Riding Lawn Tractor with a 42-in or 48-in Accel Deep™ Mower Deck and other Select Series mowers.
MulchControl™ Kits, with the pull-of-a-lever technology, are available on S240 Riding Mowers with Accel Deep™ Mower Decks, Select Series Mowers, Signature Series Mowers, and all Residential ZTrak™ Mowers.
All MulchControl™ Kits from John Deere include mulching blades for best grass mulching results.
MulchControl™ System Compatibility
|42-in Accel Deep™ Mower Deck||48-in Accel Deep™ Mower Deck||54-in Accel Deep™ Mower Deck||54-in High-Capacity Deck||60-in High-Capacity Deck|
3 Mower Decks Designed to Bring You Great Looking Lawns
Wider and higher discharge opening provides even clipping dispersal for an excellent finished appearance in all conditions.
The deeper draw and flat-top design create a better quality of cut at faster ground speeds.
Deck Spotlight: Accel Deep™ Mower Deck
Flat-top design enables clean flow of material throughout the deck and out of the discharge area. This prevents cut material from interfering with the cutting of incoming grass, allowing the blades to cut the material cleanly.
Deep, flat-top deck with a large discharge opening allows cut clippings to exit the mower deck with limited re-cutting, so more power is available for cutting and processing incoming grass.
Minimal recutting improves the mower's capacity to maintain excellent mowing performance in difficult conditions and at higher speeds.
Smooth, flat-top deck stamping has few places for material to catch and collect on top of or underneath the deck, so the mower deck stays cleaner and is easier to clean when serviced.
Limited amount of recutting means less small pieces of grass clippings collect on the mower deck or the operator.
Designed-in strength and durability features ensure many hours of trouble-free operation.
With the optional MulchControl kit installed (along with the special mulching blades that are included), changing from side-discharge to mulching or vice versa is done with the simple flip of a lever or touch of a button.